We've been experimenting with cooking here in Savannah. Of course, I own about 17 cookbooks, and yet we've been finding most of our recipes on the internet. We still cook a lot out of the trusty Richie family cookbook, and many of those recipes have now been requested by our guests or the people who watch David eat leftovers at work.

In honor of branching out with food we actually ate a delicious steak dinner on our fine china. It was the first time I've cooked steak on my own, which feels like quite an accomplishment to me. David is usually a big help around the kitchen. It's become our tradition to plan meals, make grocery runs, and cook as a tag-team. Sometimes, though, he lets me follow a meal through from start to finish so I can claim it as my own. He learned his lesson after nearly yanking the spatula from my hand the first time I tried to cook him a meal back in Birmingham. Now that he has a kitchen and gets to cook some he is more willing to leave me in control of the spatula.
Sidebar: the picture of the twice-baked potatoes was taken with our lovely new (vintage) Nikon D70, compliments of David's mom since she has just updated to a 16 megapixel camera. Not only did she give us the camera and a lens, but I now have the ability to autofocus with the lenses I already have. The camera needs a little care, but I've learned that sharing a hobby with one's mother-in-law can be a wonderful thing!
4 comments:
yummy! My mouth is watering. Is it sad that it is 10:40 and I am already hungry??
It's only sad if you ignore the fact that this blog was set up in Bham and notice that your 10:40 is recorded as really 9:42 am. That would be sad.
going to have to try that mac and c. if you ever get a hankerin' come on over to bham and cook for us. i haven't cooked at all this summer. it's too hot.
glad you guys are having fun in the kitchen!!!
I can't help but notice how new your cookie sheet looks...and the camera is going to be put to good use. It is a good thing to share a hobby with your mother-in-law!! Kathy is an amazing photographer!
Looking forward to trying the mac and cheese recipe!
Post a Comment