Hello Everyone! I don't have any cool pictures to post yet (I need to eventually since the mountains here are beautiful and covered in snow - it's just real foggy and they're hard to see at times), but I wanted to let everyone know that I got over here safely. After many long hours of travelling, I eventually made it into Afghanistan and to my unit. It has been snowing and freezing cold out since pretty much my arrival to camp marmal. I think I'm finally getting accustomed to this time zone, which is 9 1/2 hours ahead of Eastern time. They have us living in tents, so I've got a bunk bed and about 10 square feet to myself cordoned off by a couple of hanging blankets. The food has been much better than I expected, and the German food in particular has been pretty good - a nice break from the run of the mill American food. They do serve a variety of different dishes, which is nice, and I was even able to celebrate Thanksgiving with all the trimmings.
I hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving back in the states. I wish I could have been there with everyone. Also, thank you for all of the prayers for Claire and myself. They are greatly appreciated.
4 comments:
David! Thanks so much for the update. Please update here from time to time. We have enjoyed getting the updates from Claire while she has been here. Today is our day to pray for yall and we have already today but we do everyday - even at night Benjamin prays for D! Missed you at Thanksgiving. The 9 1/2 hours is weird. Where does the 1/2 come from?? Talk to you soon!
I agree...I'm confused about the 1/2 hour. Strange. Please do explain.
We're so glad you're there safely. We're thinking about you and praying for you constantly. I can't wait to see pictures of the landscape, and if possible, of your little 10 square feet of personal space. I know the kids (okay, Thomas and I) would think that is fascinating!
We love you!
David, we're happy to hear that you made it there safely — and got some good Thanksgiving food. All the Davises were praying for you this past Wednesday. We'd love to see some pictures of your digs there in the mountains. Hope you settle in well.
Thanks for all the prayers. I have no clue about the 1/2 hour time difference. I guess they didn't want to play with the rest of the world. It's actually not as uncommon as you would think - a couple of other countries do it as well. There are also some places that do +/- 15 minutes. That's really strange.
Post a Comment