Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Heritage Tour






Last weekend as part of our trip to Doug Starr's daughter's wedding in Lexington, NC, we made 4 side trips.  They were to Regi;s, Miriam's, dad's and my homeplaces.  It was a very special trip.  These are a few of the pictures that we took.  Hope that it brings back some happy memories.  I regret that Melissa, Seung Hwan, and David did not ever get to Greenville. (And David - not even to Hartwell).  Although these pictures can't capture the whole "feeling" of home, they sure did make John and I to relive some happy times.  Enjoy!

8 comments:

Claire said...

David has been to Hartwell! He came up once for church and the gathering at the lake. He's driven by Grandmama's house, but sadly never made it inside. We were just talking this week about how we need to make a trip so he can see Bailes Cobb. So glad you guys had a good trip. Thanks for sharing pictures!

GranMarty said...

Love the pictures! What a fun trip. John was right about the Sweetbrier yard. Especially like the brick walk about to the street. Would love to go inside! Is the Hartwell house sold? I should remember the answer to that question!

Melissa said...

While I never went inside the Greenville home, Thomas drove me by it when I worked at camp during the summer of 2003. On one of his trips to visit me we went to Greenville and spent the day exploring and he made sure that I went by Gran and Gramps home. I'm so so thankful that he did.

I've still never set foot in Bailes Cobb though! I always visited on Easter or other Sundays, and it wasn't open. Sounds like we all need to take a road trip next summer when David gets back!

Katie said...

Such fun memories at both of those places. But more than at the houses, with the people that lived in them.

Steve said...

Well said, Katie. I can't imagine how strange it would be to go back in Gran and Gramps house without either of them in it.

But the house does look great. I have so many visceral memories rushing back of oh-so-many days and nights spent at that house. Touch football in the yard and diving into leaf piles. That shag carpet in the den and the little horse saddle seat next to the round table where we'd play with the blocks. Gramps' Butt Chair. Balsa-wood gliders from the Bi-Lo in the front yard, and Willy the Waterbug in the back. Baths in the blue bathroom that had the bucket of toys in the closet. Gran's purse under the stereo cabinet with gum in it and Gramps desk by the back door with his plaque that had a gavel on it. Lots of little things like that running around in my brain.

Anyway, so you guys were in Lexington? I hope you went to the Honey Monk (Lexington Barbecue) or the BBQ Center for some real Lexington BBQ while you were there. Where was the wedding?

Martha said...

The wedding was at a winery - Cheshire maybe. Can't remember exactly and no I did not have too much wine!

Martha said...

No,Marty. The house has not sold. It is looking sad. It has been vacant for too long. Now I am motivated to do some work on it after seeing the Greenville house and feeling so happy that it is well cared for...makes the letting go easier. Melissa, that is a grand idea about a road trip to Bailes Cobb when David gets back!

GranMarty said...

Martha, my cousin Mary and I were saying the same thing about our grandmother's little house in Booneville. It's been up and down, but it seems that a young couple is doing wonderful things with it, which makes us happy.

If only they hadn't cut down the big pecan tree. :-)